Frequently asked questions

Frequently asked questions

No. Visa that you get in the Russian Consulate is valid throughout Russia provided that all places you are going to visit are mentioned either in your tourist voucher or invitation letter.

Yes. But this is necessary only for those applicants who plan to stay in Russia for more than 3 month (ordinary regarding multiple entry, student and working visas). HIV certificate can most likely be demanded from you at the Russian border or at the registration counter in a hotel.

Yes. The route that you take must be indicated in either your tourist voucher or invitation letter. You may also use this route for transit to the third country via Russia. In this case you need to present the tickets and a visa to the third country if such required.

Normally such a certificate can be obtained at any ZAGS office in Russia. ZAGS is Registrar of Acts of Civil Status. If your fiancee failed to get this certificate from ZAGS she may arrive in Malaysia without visa as anyone else may for a period of 1 month. While in Malaysia your fiancee may apply to any Malaysian civil court for affidavit/oath. The affidavit is accepted in the Russian Consulate as a proof of single status.

No. If you are a citizen of Malaysia, you may submit the document required for obtaining visa through an authorized/travel agent provided that visa application form is signed by you. Applications on-line or via mail are not acceptable.

The Consulate in Kuala Lumpur is open for public on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays (9.30 a.m.-1.00 p.m.). Upon your request we can expedite the processing for additional charges.

- According to Russian legislation, describing entry-exit rules and requirements, foreign citizens, traveling on board international cruise liners (permitted to carry passengers) have a right to "land" in Russian sea- and river ports and stay on the territory of Russia for a period not exceeding 72 hours (3 days) without visas! A number of stepping down and back does not count. If a period of stay is longer, a tourist visa is required. In your case visa is not necessary and no ordinary visa requirements are applicable.

- You may apply at any time and don't have to wait for May or June if your invitation documents are properly prepared. It's alike for other types of visas too.

- Please be informed that normally Russian visas are not being issued to foreigners upon their arrival to Russian points of entry (naval ports, airports, etc.) even where consular offices are established. Such offices process visas in emergency cases only! So please make sure to obtain Russian visa in Russian embassies and consulates abroad.

If yes, are the requirements the same as for Malaysia passport holders and how much is the visa fee for a Japanese? I could not find this info on your website.

Positive, they need visas. No other special requirements for Japanese applicants. Visa fee will be RM160 for single entry (normal 5 days processing). Express visa (same day processing) - RM 480. Unfortunately we haven't post visa fee information for the third countries' citizens on our website because of the amount of such information required. However we're planning to upload it soon. Until this time please e-mail to us to get an exact charge for each particular case.

Azerbaijan as well as Georgia are independent states with their own entry/exit policies. We do not issue visas for visiting former USSR republics. Our Embassy may issue visas valid for entry to Russia only. And unfortunately at the moment there are no diplomatic or consular missions of the countries mentioned in Malaysia. So all foreigners have to apply for respective visas in countries where such missions are established. We recommend you to surf i-net and MFA websites of these countries for such information.

No, you just need an ordinary document-size picture of a decent quality. Background color does not matter. Please stick it on or staple to you application on the place specially marked.

Prior to arrival to Russia, all dogs and cats must be put in quarantine for 21 days in Malaysia. During last 14 days (but not earlier) they must get vaccination (please, consult your veterinarian) and animal's transportation container must get special sanitary treatment. Upon completing these procedures, the veterinarian issues a certificate, which you have to get authorized at your local Office of the Department of Agriculture (or similar local official authority) and, then, translate into Russian. Please, note that in some cases Russian quarantine authorities may require the animal to be put in quarantine in Russia for additional 30 days.

No, you cannot change your visa status being in Russia. In order to do so, you have to leave the country and re-apply for a different visa.

To avoid any inconveniences, you are strongly advised to declare that equipment at the Customs Control and consult a Customs officer. If it is forbidden in Russia, it will be kept in Customs storage and returned to you when you leave Russia.

Original documents are preferable. We are willing to consider photocopied or faxed documents of decent quality. However, we reserve the right to request originals if the need arises. The invitation should be presented at the time of visa application submission. Please, do not send invitation and other documents to the Consulate unless confirmed by consul.

According to the recent "Agreement between the Russian Federation and the European Community on the facilitation of the issuance of visas to the citizens of the Russian Federation and the European Union", which took effect from June 1, 2007, the following categories of EU citizens are exempted from visa fee payment:

a) close relatives - spouses, children (including adopted) parents (including custodians), grandparents and grandchildren-of citizens of the Russian Federation and of the European Union legally residing in the territory of the Member States or the Russian Federation;

b) members of official delegations who, following an official invitation addressed to the Russian Federation, the Member States, or the European Union, shall participate in meetings, consultations, negotiations or exchange programs, as well as in events held in the territory of one of the Member States or the Russian Federation by intergovernmental organizations;

c) members of national and regional Governments and Parliaments, Constitutional Courts and Supreme Courts, if they are not exempted from the visa requirement by the present Agreement;

d) pupils, students, post-graduate students and accompanying teachers who undertake trips for the purpose of study or educational training;

e) disabled persons and the person accompanying them, if necessary;

f) persons who have presented documents proving the necessity of their travel on humanitarian grounds, including to receive urgent medical treatment and the person accompanying such person, or to attend a funeral of a close relative, or to visit a close relative seriously ill;

g) participants in youth international sports events and persons accompanying them;

h) persons participating in scientific, cultural and artistic activities including university and other exchange programmes;

i) participants in official exchange programs organized by twin cities.

For a detailed information concerning studying at Russian Universities please contact the Russian Centre of Science and Culture (RCSC) in Kuala Lumpur (address: 205 Lorong Ampang 2, off Jalan Ampang, 50450, Kuala Lumpur) Director of the RCSC - Mr. Ayrat A. Akhmetov.

    Tel.: +603-2144-4001,

    Fax: +603-2144-4266,



or the Honorary Consulate of the Russian Federation in Penang (address: suite 3, 15th floor, wing A, Northam Tower, 57, Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah, 10050 Penang);

    Tel.: 604-2260127 - Mr. Teoh Seng Lee;


Under the current Russian citizenship legislation (Article 14, part 2, clause b) of Federal Law "On the citizenship of the Russian Federation") a foreign citizen who has been married to a citizen of the Russian Federation for at least three years may apply for admittance to Russian citizenship in a simplified manner.

As for you children citizenship, there are basically two options:

– If a child was born in the territory of the Russian Federation and one of his (her) parents is Russian citizen, such a child is granted Russian citizenship automatically or by birth (Article 12, part 1, clause c)regardless of the will of a foreign parent.

– Otherwise, if a child was not born in Russia, his (her) Russian parent is entitled to apply for the child's Russian citizenship 'in a simplified way' in the presence of the other parent's (written) consent to the child's becoming a citizen of the Russian Federation (Article 14, part 6, clause a). If a child is residing in Russia, such consent is unnecessary. In the first case an application may be processed by Russian Consulate. Under the law the term of consideration is up to 6 months from the date of submitting all required documents.

If you have children from the previous marriage (not mutual), you and your spouse may apply for granting Russian citizenship to the children only after your acquisition of the Russian citizenship (Article 25, part 2).

Currently visa requirements are applicable to all Malaysians entering Russia regardless of the purpose of their visit. But if your parents don't intend to leave the transit zone of the airport, i.e. don't pass immigration control and their transit time does not exceed 24 hours, they are permitted to transit visa-free.

The veterinary passport with the instruction of the date of inoculations and the name of the vaccines, certified by the signature of the doctor and a stamp is required. Not less than one month before the departure the animal is obligatory to be inoculated against furiousness. For two weeks up to an inoculation from furiousness it is necessary for animal to implant the chip by means of which it is possible to identify the pet. The veterinary passport allows you to get a veterinary certificate (the form №1).

In the departure day you need to change the certificate in boundary control veterinary authority on another one (international, the form №5a). This certificate is valid, if within 24 hours after its signing the animal will be brought on a plane.

You should also consider that in various airlines there are certain rules of transportation of pets. In this respect it is necessary to connect with representatives of airlines to clarify the details of transportation of animals.

Foreign citizens can arrive to the Russian Federation and leave the Russian Federation under the valid documents proving their identity and recognized by the Russian Federation in this quality. The World Passport issued by the World Service Authority doesn't give the right to cross the border of Russia.